This is an abridged list of the non-work things I accomplished this week.
US holiday. Took the day off as well.
- Punted on tidying office, put my work machine in a shelf instead and spent the day on my Mac.
- Reviewed list of personal projects, which is in an XMind mind-map that currently feels very much like this:
- Took some time to relax, deal with some Swift multicast madness and create Platypus wrappers for some of my utilities:
- Did some more research for a future project.
- Fixed a Nintendo Switch joy-con.
- Added the final piece (a missing SSD heatsink) to
borgand did a few stress tests by running a set of Stable Diffusion prompts in
imaginAIry. Am quite impressed that I can absentmindedly RDP to it using my LG Ultrawide and things are still fast.
Mardi Gras. Short (non-Carnival-related) family outing.
- Upon returning home, decided to celebrate by dressing up as a couch potato and trying to drum up the courage to dabble in music again.
- On a whim, hooked up my LG 5K2K to my thin client setup as a second display and enjoyed a very nice 3440x1440 GPU accelerated experience, although it is clear at this point the Pi struggles a bit with both the extra display and what
borgcan throw at it–and crashes if I overclock it. Time to start researching fanless Celeron mini-PCs with dual
HDMIand see if it’s worth replacing the Pi with one in six months or so.
- Tried out pygwalker, which is a pretty neat way to explore my home automation metrics.
- Briefly poked at building a new Klipper accelerometer module.
- Installed the new PrusaSlicer alpha and began migrating my settings across.
- Printed a couple of LEGO pieces in
Ash Wednesday, also known as “Monday” this week.
- Filed #28 in
pygwalkerbecause I can’t really use the charting with the current default labeling.
- Scrubbed some SuperSlicer settings and imported them into PrusaSlicer for testing.
Relatively quiet day, spent mostly catching up on things. Hard to believe the war started a year ago.
I checked on NEXTSPACE (which I tried last year) and was sad to see the developer (an Ukrainian) hasn’t committed anything for a long time now.
Ended the day early and caught up on personal things as well:
- Learned a magic incantation to reset a completely frozen, blank screen 2022 iPad that wouldn’t charge or show up on the USB bus: press volume buttons in order (moving away from power button), hold power button until Apple logo shows up. Phew.
- Did a few test prints with PrusaSlicer Alpha 4 to try out some of the new fancy features, with spectacularly bad results (like Klipper freaking out with 200x extrusion rates). Turns out I need to scrub the configs a little more and remove some conflicting settings.
- Realized some recent Fedora upgrade broke
xrdp, so I spent a while looking for
systemd --userred herrings, eventually updated the
xrdp-sinkmodule and added an explicit startup item:
# cat .config/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop [Desktop Entry] Version=1.0 Name=PulseAudio Sound System Exec=/bin/sh -c "sleep 2; pulseaudio --start" Terminal=false Type=Application X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=Initialization NotShowIn=KDE;
- Fooled around a bit more with my ambilight-like setup and the Go binary I use to update my office bias lighting to match to what’s on my monitor. Unfortunately Wayland doesn’t make it easy to take screenshots, so I wrote a fallback that extracts the color hints from the current wallpaper instead.
- Realized boatswain exists, downloaded the source and wrestled with GNOME Builder to get an actual non-
Flatpakbinary and, for good measure, set
ICON_SIZEto 72 because the default 32 is obviously meant for ants. Seems to work OK with my Lenovo, which opens up entirely new possibilities:
This reminds me I haven’t written about how I use the Elgato Stream Deck on Windows and Mac, but the above is pretty similar to my Mac layout, with that “off-by-one” feel you get when you’re porting code across in a hurry.
- Read The Economist.
- Personal inbox zero.
Catch-up day, mostly devoted to personal projects and cleaning up.
- Migrated my Takahē instance from Pimox to an Azure
Standard_B2swith minimum disruption. Part of it is due to
pikusince it was just a
git pushafter I had copied the data over (and this machine currently runs five other applications), part of it Cloudflare, all of it just so nice and tidy (at least for now).
- Finally replaced our old Huawei all-in-one ONT/router with the nicer (hopefully far less buggy) Vodafone Smart Router Sagem-designed model I infamously spent multiple months designing a replacement base for.
- Literally screwed a Gigabit switch to a wall to make our utility cabinet tidier.
- Cleaned up these notes for posting.