Notes for January 01-07

I think it worthwhile to for the new year, so here goes:

Monday, 2024-01-01

Tuesday, 2024-01-02

  • First day back at work, but ended up using my breaks to beta test .
  • Finally got the replacement belt for my , so I took the opportunity to replace the main board fan (I think overheating was the reason for my layer shifts at high speeds), clean it up and re-level the bed.
  • Looked for a decent case for the I’m and chanced upon this one, which is functional but designed for a fan I don’t want to use. So I decided to get the STEP file and modify it to be entirely passively/convection cooled instead.

Wednesday, 2024-01-03

  • Broke out my BitScope Micro signal scope and resumed my power meter hacking, again without much success.
  • Printed out a first draft of the modified case, which doesn’t look half bad:
Ended up only changing the top and bottom panels to improve airflow.

Thursday, 2024-01-04

  • Worked late, so didn’t have much free time.
  • Tested some cheap Chinese AirTags knockoffs by dint of getting my kids to carry them around. They’re surprisingly functional, and may come in useful yet.

Friday, 2024-01-05

  • Printed out the side panels for the Orange Pi 5+ case in Eryone Wood PLA, which didn’t turn out half bad. I’m still not sure about the color, but it’s a nice change from the usual black/white dichotomy of computer cases (plus I only had black screws, so they would look awful on a fully white case).
  • Decided to jot down and call it a day.

Saturday, 2024-01-06

  • Finally put together a MIDI IN interface for my DX7 clone. Only took me a year to get around to it:
The protoboard is nowhere as neat as this.

Now, of course, I have to redesign the case to accommodate the new TRS jack (I’m trying to standardize on TRS for MIDI, since it’s the smallest, most practical connector).

Sunday, 2024-01-07

  • Re-acquainted myself with the code for the MiniDexed case, added a MIDI IN port opening and tweaked some of the details to hopefully make it print better.
  • Printed out a few other things that were in my backlog, including more Gridfinity, because you can never have enough organizers.
  • Upgraded my to the latest version and fiddled with it a bit.
  • Investigated PocketBase, which is an interesting all-in-one back-end that I may end up using for some of my own stuff.

This page is referenced in: