The next few days are going to be devoted, like I mentioned, mostly to lying about on a couch or bed (I have some trouble walking, which should go away in time), but in the meantime I’ve already taken advantage of the short naps the kids mercifully provide us with to make some good headway in re-structuring this site:
- For starters, the iPhone timeline was cleaned up quite a bit (something I’ve been meaning to do for ages, since the entry page was quite outdated).
- Search is now stable, and the only reason I haven’t improved the layout yet is that I’ve been with my nose in a few books (a review of which will be forthcoming soon, although it’s going to be hard to beat the double feature I did a while back).
- Cleaning up the Android and Python sections is slowly happening offline, as I try to figure out how to make them more useful as references.
- Utterly obsolete content (notes on ancient phone models, news items, etc.) that cannot be of any possible use to anyone is being systematically nuked as I come across it.
- And, of course, some major re-structuring is going on, as promised. The Aliases page should give you an idea of how I’m now organizing things around companies and product lines rather than one-off pages, and the beauty of it all is that the site automatically re-directs you to the right place even without my manually fixing the links…
All in all, it’s hard to believe the site has been active since a little before 2001 (although live content and archives only go back to 2002) or that it’s been running atop Yaki since May 2007 – it feels like it was yesterday, and as far as hobbies go, it’s still lots of fun.
Yet I’d still give it all up if my career demanded it (my kids don’t, but at this point their recurring wakefulness in the wee hours actually helps me keep writing…).