After months of writing, I realized that I was using
vim spell checking all wrong, which led to quite a few typos making their way online.
The reason for that was that I had added a few plugins (like
vimwiki) that overrode formatting and highlighting settings, so a lot of my typos were actually there and flagged by the spell checker, just not visibly highlighted.
So I went and moved my Markdown and spell checking settings after all the other plugins and color settings were loaded, and they now look like this:
The last line is the critical thing, but I would rather manage settings as a block for each use case, and I’m somewhat annoyed that this has been going on for so long.