Time to update DNS, I think. In the meantime, I’ve updated a few of the Python modules Yaki relies on (including Markdown and some of my own), replaced the ancient jQuery build, changed the image gallery scripts, and added a spiffy image thumbnailing mechanism that injects them straight into the front-end server’s RAM cache.
Using lighttpd with mem_cache cuts down 10:1 on the hits to Snakelets and also makes it possible for me to switch off most of the multiple levels of caching I’ve built internally, so the new VPS (which has twice the stated RAM as the old one) feels a lot snappier.
Who knows, I might even be able to survive a Slashdotting1.
famous last words, I know. ↩︎