Finally, the week is at an end. I've been kept busy both updating myself on the status of several projects and slowly going mad at the number of things I can't get around to do because so-and-so is going on vacation - a painfully stuttering go-no-go process that is slowly converging towards tying up loose ends and doing boring run-of-the-mill housekeeping.

Cisco In The Eye

(It's a language pun, you have to at least have lived in Portugal for a while)

Also been keeping track of the latest Cisco PR fracas, which is very nicely summed up here. Knowing a bit about the tremendous number of IOS variants and having seen Lynn's presentation, I'd say Cisco overreacted a bit - it's tricky to do all-out attacks based on what he's uncovered (which does not make it any less serious), but mostly due to the wide range of Cisco gear out there.

Matching sets of routers, though, might be another issue altogether.

Odds and Ends

  • For the last three days I've been running and solely inside the new QEMU 0.7.1, running atop my desktop at work. I have been able to do nearly everything I do with my Windows laptop at roughly the same speed (the desktop is roughly one and a half times as fast as my laptop, which means the kqemu accelerator is working as advertised). Even runs at a fair clip. Not being suicidal, I've had my laptop on the whole time alongside, but after a while I only used it to query my massive e-mail archive.
  • Via Melo, I found that Confluence (the only Wiki that I seriously wanted to try, despite SnipSnap's niceties) has a personal license that lets you run it as your own personal information manager (limited to two users). It is, however, a memory hog, especially when indexing content. I'm in the process of upgrading my remaining box to Core 4 (which is where I tested Zoë a year back), and will toss it a few of my several hundred megabyte mailboxes over the weekend and see how it works out.
  • Looks like someone has made the new fonts I mentioned (Calibri, Cambria, Candara, Consolas, Constantia & Corbe) available for download.
  • 10.4.3 is being seeded. Maybe it will fix my problems with .
  • SubEthaEdit has been updated to 2.2, and is available as a universal binary for those lucky people with an Intel development box.
  • I really should devote more time to keeping up with my mailing-lists. Via Christian, here's a screenshot of a gtk-webcore browser running on :