- Java update for Panther: availability, breakage, repost (wait until the dust settles)
- Activating PHP in Panther (I really should update some of my HOWTOs)
- More Pocket PC reviews keep popping up. Less battery life ensues.
- Both WiFiNetNews and DailyWireless report that UltraWideBand is becoming a fast, frantic mess. You gotta love the standartization process.
- Now this is waaaay cool (via 2lmc)
And speaking of standards...
This bit of news caught my eye. Owners of MS smartphones (including the all-singing, all-dancing but utterly blind Motorola/MPX200) can't use the built-in MSN client, since it's still using the old protocol. Better still, the upgrade is phone-specific. Neat. Another problem to solve using Microsoft services to support the phones... Meet the new Microsoft mobile value chain.
Nevertheless, this poses a lot of interesting issues, like how to manage those phones (both as a manufacturer, since smartphones like this will probably require quite a bit of patching, and as an operator, since any deviation from the norm usually results in higher support & operations costs).
My guess is that Microsoft will propose some newfangled over-the-air update feature. Can you imagine millions of phones trying to access the future equivalent of Windows Update next time MSN changes their IM protocol?
I'm definetly going to stay clear of smartphones like this until the dust settles.