- Tor picks up where Freenet left off (think of it as SOCKS on top of a meshed, encrypted packet relay). Following the recent closure of BitTorrent sites, this sort of thing is likely to be the next step in the P2P wars. Of course, things can get a lot more complicated.
- The EU patents mess was staved off thanks to Poland's intervention. Of course, this is not final - either way.
- Microsoft got its appeal turned down, which might also not be the final word on this.
- Python for the Series 60 is now a reality. This is bound to generate a lot of interest - but, ultimately, its success will depend on how much of the OS is exposed to the Python runtime.
- Zaphod's second head is NOT inside his nostril. Yes, the H2G2 movie is back on the radar, and the Slashdot thread is, as you'd expect, hilarious.
Finally, an utterly random bit of trivia, sparked both by Xmas madness and last year's successful install of a Spectrum emulator (complete with Manic Miner) - If your company uses these and you happen to be able to access them via X (I'm not telling how), the Pac Man xscreensaver module works flawlessly and is instantly recognizable by both geek and non-geek alike.
Ours now have a discreet Xmas motif.