The Lightweight Directory Access Protocol, the bastard child of the original X.400-oriented DAP (Directory Access Protocol) and TCP/IP.
The LDAP protocol is often confused with the data or directory structure itself, and was hailed as a must-have feature on the battle for corporate-oriented file and print services (years after Novell got it right the first time).
- List of relevant RFCs
- RFC:2251 - Wire Protocol Description
- ADLDAP, a PHP class that provides Active Directory authentication.
- A minimal LDAP daemon written in Perl
- Ldaptor is a pure Python LDAP library that includes a dummy server
- Directory Administrator - A Gnome front-end for LDAP
- LDAP Browser/Editor - Java
- phpLDAPAdmin - a PHP administration front-end
- Softerra LDAP Browser
- OpenLDAP Win32 Port - a native Windows port
- Qualcomm Eudora free LDAP Server (for Windows)
- Dawn - an excellent Windows utility that can import/export from Outlook, Mozilla, etc. and dump the results as an LDIF file.