The three key steps for mastering ActionScript are:
- Don't use the crappy Flash UI (in fact, don't even think about using it, it is a hideous development environment).
- Get a decent book on the language and focus on figuring out the DOM and event models.
- Learn how to use MTASC.
- Install the Flash Debug Plugin (be prepared to faff around with the installer and administrative accounts)
- Create a mm.cfg file in the system-wide (yes, I know, it's dumb) /Library/Application\ Support/Macromedia folder with the following content:
- Logging is then performed to /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\ Player/Logs/flashlog.txt
- Developing Flash on a Mac (oooh, movie eyecandy)
- HOWTO: Develop Flash on Mac OSX with Rake, MTASC, SWFMill and TextMate (much more detail)