After the launch, from June 29th onwards...
Links to items of interest, in reverse chronological order
- Welcome to Planet Apple (feature article on BusinessWeek) - choice quote: "Consumers don't buy platforms".
- Britain's Vodafone rides high on iPhone hopes VOD.L stock climbed to 168.7p, highest in 5 years.
- Internal Apple Stevenote: iPhone, iPods with OS X, and "off the charts" Macs in the pipeline - Steve briefs the troops, on what is sure to have been a very interesting moment in Apple's history.
- As the IPhone Launch Nears, the Wireless Industry Needs a Clue - no kidding?
- Consensus: The iPhone Scorecard - Valleywag condenses the initial reviews
- Testing Out the iPhone Walt Mossberg's column, wherein the following table was originally published
- The iPhone Matches Most of Its Hype - David Pogue, also starring on a hilarious video.
- Apple's iPhone: Revolutionary design with a few misses (San Diego Transcript column)
With impeccable timing, the first reviews appear all over the press
- iPhone facts from the first reviews - a round-up
- At Last, the iPhone. - Levy, for Newsweek.
- Apple's iPhone isn't perfect, but it's worthy of the hype - includes a neat summary of tariff plans.
- The iPhone Is a Breakthrough Handheld Computer Walt Mossberg's review, probably the most quoted piece.
- Apple iPhone Hype Machine in Overdrive
As well as a few rumors
- Vodafone back in front as likely European network for iPhone.
- Investors pick up Vodafone over hopes of Apple deal.
The Washington Post publishes a hilarious comic:
- Apple posts the fifth iPhone ad - "Surprised"
The Onion posts an iPhone infographic:
- Shaw Wu Predicts Cheaper iPhones Sometime Later - which took only 4 months to happen.
- What is driving the iPhone hype? - doesn't think the iPhone will be revolutionary. Hmmm.
- Rumor: Nintendo Working on iPhone Games - probably the stupidest rumor concerning iPhone games, ever.
- iPhone Delivers Up to Eight Hours of Talk Time - Apple announces revised battery life figures, AAPL climbs $3.
- How Big Will The iPhone Be? - BusinessWeek on the mad climb of AAPL.
- iPhone Europe negotations still underway
- iPhone Ringtone "Marimba" - Good-quality Marimba samples start appearing on the web, in "MP3":Audio/MP3 and other formats. (mind the "ActiveX":ActiveX junk on the page, though).
- Apple's New iPhone - The Onion publishes the hilarious infographic above.
Extremely polarized debate erupts on the Internet.
- iPhone to Support Third-Party Web 2.0 Applications - Apple's PR.
- iPhone Hysterics - a drop of perspective in an ocean of hype.
- iPhone details uncovered in Sales Training Workbook - no MMS, no 'conventional' mobile service functionality other than SMS and EDGE data (which is, of course, unavailable when making a call). No GPS, either (of course, it was all wishful thinking).
- iPhone Details from AT&T's Sales Training Workbook - several scanned pages.
- Lessons from Apple and The Third Act appear on The Economist.
- Apple publishes the fourth iPhone ad demoing the built-in Safari browser, with the best sales pitch possible: This is not a watered-down version of the Internet. Or the "mobile" version of the Internet. Or the "kinda sorta looks like the Internet" Internet. It's just the Internet.
- iPhone Data to be Boosted by AT&T's Operation "Fine Edge" - capacity planning hits the mainstream.
- Rumor: Apple to release iPhone SDK at WWDC - yet more rumors that would not pan out.
- iPhone to get software development kit at WWDC?
- Zaprudering the iPhone commercials: email - people start poring over the TV ads.
- Why Apple won't sell 10 million iPhones in 2008 - one to remember.
- iPhone SDK, iPhone SDK! Wherefore Art Thou iPhone SDK? - Gruber rounds up most of the speculation regarding third-party apps on the iPhone and gives it a thorough trashing.
- Rumor: Quanta to produce iPhone with new design - another unreliable rumor.
- Why you won't be buying an iPhone-like iPod anytime soon - of course, it took only four months for the iPod Touch to be launched (just goes to show you the accuracy of this kind of piece)
- iPhone release date bingo: which date will be THE date? - this seems so silly with hindsight.
- AT&T eager to wield its iWeapon - in which the 5-year exclusive US distribution rights agreement is mentioned.
- iPhone advertising awarded to agency behind iPod campaigns, TBWA.
- iPhone gets FCC stamp of approval
- FCC approval (via Slashdot)
- FCC "thinks different," grants approval to Apple iPhone.
- Study: Half of iPod owners open to iPhone as next mobile phone - otherwise meaningless except for it apparently being an European study. And even then...
A landmark day. Engadget puts their foot in it, by posting a rumor stating that the iPhone and Leopard are both late. They try to redact the mess away, but Apple stock takes a dive (3%) - proof positive that the Hype cycle is completely out of control.
- My Take on Engadget's 4 Billion Dollar iPhone Mistake
- Fake Memo Roils Apple Stock; Investors Call for SEC Probe
- Engadget sends Apple stock plunging on iPhone rumor
- Apple Has a Worm! No, Wait... Cancel the Worm!
- Don't believe everything you hear: iPhone and Leopard NOT delayed
- False alarm: iPhone NOT delayed until October, Leopard NOT delayed again until Januar - redacted several times during the day.
- Apple still undecided about third-party iPhone development - of course, Steve soon settled that.
- AT&T: iPhone pre-sales will not be allowed
- Nokia says iPhone may boost pricier phones
- T-Mobile pulling ahead in race to become European iPhone carrier - stuff I will never be able to confirm or deny.
- Apple iPhone: more secrets revealed - more speculation on third-party apps.
- Apple: Huge iPhone Demand In Sight - more analyst input. Or output. Or whatever.
- iOuija - a roundup of sales predictions of sorts.
- iPhone good for business - the idiotic argument about whether or not the iPhone is suitable as a business phone, mostly led by people who (shockingly) have their own ideas about what business phones should look like.
- iPhone Q&A for AT&T employees - internal front line sales memos (or facsimiles thereof), the usual kind of generic info operators issue to their shops (which Infinite Loop picks up and mulls over)
- Source: iPhone running into OS issues, won't meet demand. Ah well.
- Source: iPhone Either Getting Delayed or Will Have Thin Launch. Don't you just love the way "sources" make sites link to each other?
- Apple iPhone Non-News Posts Are Annoying - Gizmodo realizes their mistake.
- Road to Apple/Cisco iPhone compatibility leading through VoIP?. Considering that the iPhone has EDGE as baseline connectivity when away from Wi-Fi, I rate this one as "pie-in-the-sky" material.
- Apple seriously considering iPhone rebate, subsidy - report - mere rumors, basically, but not unfeasible considering the way the handset market works.
- iPhone in flux - trying to pin the donkey's tail, basically.
- Apple announces that it had to re-allocate "key software engineering and QA resources" to the iPhone project, and that that will have an impact on Leopard's release date (now pushed to Fall 2007)
- Balda: The iPhone's German Accent - BusinessWeek write-up on the German firm that manufactures the touchscreen
- Steve Jobs talking on an iPhone tucked in his front pocket - or so they say.
- Comparing Apples to Apples. Statistics, which may or not be meaningless.
- iPhone release allegedly "confirmed" for June 11, then not confirmed - don't you just love rumors?
- Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone - Jonh Dvorak, being his usual spoilsport self.
- Apple's iPhone will be released on June 11 - and here begins the "it will be at the WWDC" saga. Thousands of Mac developers pay the exorbitant entry fee in hope of getting one for their troubles.
- Vodafone to be iPhone’s European Carrier? - more rumors.
- Beware Apple's iPhone Froth - Forbes tries to match apples and oranges, mostly glossing over the world outside the US.
- Palm Responds to the iPhone - by hiring people just as they start making open moves to sell the entire company. Consistency at its best.
- Hey, Apple: Remember the Newton before releasing iPhone - by now, all other critics had caught up to this line.
- Goldman: iPhone to drive 'next big growth phase' for Apple - ah, analysts. Everything's big with them (see also Infinite Loop on this).
- Apple airs the first TV ad during the Oscars - "Hello".
- iPhone rumors: earlier in Europe, 3G in early 2008, ringtones - title says it all.
- The iPhone Highlights The Difference Between Invention And Innovation - again, it's not what you do, is how you put it together.
- How Steve Jobs Played Hardball In iPhone Birth - great background piece.
- Battle for iPhone . . . Happy Ending? - an update on the trademark tussles.
- Apple Embraces Casual Gaming - BusinessWeek on iPod games, Electronic Arts and speculation on iPhone ones.
- Verizon kicked Apple out of bed over iPhone deal
- Impact of the Apple iPhone - a cogent analysis by Michael Mace.
- Report: Apple iPhone Not a Smartphone - sanity then ensued as follows: "Precisely what we call it means little to the consumers that will ultimately be purchasing the product. Names and labels mean nothing; what really matters is the bottom-line functionality of a given device and its ability to meet specific end-user needs."
- "iPhone" searches outpace "iPod" searches - figures.
- Apple Turning Cell Phone Market Upside Down? - the rumors of Cingular heavily discounting service fees to acquire customers hit the proverbial fan.
- The iPhone User Experience: A First Look - Tog weighs in on the UI paradigms underlying it with his usual panache (via Infinite Loop's summary).
- You could call iPhone perfect - The Chicago Sun-Times echoes the overall impression of a "liquid" UI.
- Apple Ushers in Era of the Fluid UI - Om on the way UIs have become more fluid and context-aware.
- Apple may see 50 percent margin on each iPhone sale - "guesstimates" on the iPhone internals' cost. I still think they're vastly undervaluing the screen and that they have no idea of how phone hardware works.
- Will iPhone create a new dominant design in mobile user interfaces? - in which Christian Lindholm classifies "a phone" as "a one hand operated device which can be used while moving", a view I have long espoused when debating smartphones.
- Apple iPhone Will Fail in a Late, Defensive Move: Matthew Lynn - only time will tell, but analysts ought to know not to stick their necks out too far either way...
- 10 Ways The Nokia N800 Is Better Than Apple’s iPhone - again, people miss the point and do direct comparisons. My favorite is the "video conferencing", which is utterly non-standard on the N800.
- Want an iPhone? Beware the iHandcuffs - Ought to be tagged as "flamebait" as well (via Slashdot.
- Saturday Night Live Parody Video - two billion songs, twenty-minute battery life. Great parody.
- Jobs: No Java for you - on the Java bloat angle.
- Ultimate iPhone FAQs List, Part 2
- Why can't you add software to the iPhone? Because of Windows. - again, Michael Mace makes sense, but not in the way you expect him to judging from the title.
- iPhone Mockups parodying it in several ways.
- Amazon.de iPhone Pre-Order Page - Eur. 999 for the 8GB model (via John Gruber).
- iPhone Not Running OS X - tagged as "wrong, troll, flamebait, lame, clueless", but linking to the Samsung ARM core documentation.
- Skin your WM5 Pocket PC to look like the iPhone, get sued by Apple - copycats beware. I hope they come up with a decent Pearl skin, though.
- Cisco on brink of losing iPhone name in Europe
- Conan O'Brien Mock Commercial Video for the iPhone - via Gizmodo
- Cisco lost rights to iPhone trademark last year, experts say (via Engadget, a day later)
- Top 7 iPhone Questions Steve Jobs Doesn't Want You To Ask - astroturfing at its best.
- What About the Apple iPhone Camera? - interesting speculation, considering nobody got their hands on the device yet.
- In Japan, barely a ripple - they've had this sort of thing for years, which isn't news to anyone in the business. But even they have trouble with UIs.
- Apple swipes Visual Voicemail from Citrix - more trademark stuff, dredged up by The Register.
- iPhone Countdown to June - The folding PDF is... amazing.
Also known as "trademark lawsuit day".
- How Apple kept its iPhone secrets - think Manhattan Project, but with a virtual bang.
- Commentary from Mark Chandler, Cisco's SVP on the trademark issues.
- Cisco sues Apple over use of iPhone trademark
- Cisco's press release on the trademark infringment lawsuit.
- iPhone Thoughts Part 2 - Russel Buckley weighs in.
- Apple iPhone (Hands-On) - via Hawk Wings.
- iPhone release date in the UK - unconfirmed, of course.
- Steve's devices - "It's hard to imagine the pleasure Steve Jobs must receive from singlehandedly upstaging the entire Consumer Electronics Show".
Announcement day - All hell breaks loose.
- Steve Jobs on CNBC - Steve at his best.
- Nokia responds to Apple iPhone - 'it is a surprise that the iPhone is not 3G' - Nokia's rep at CES, upstaged by Steve
- Apple's New Calling: The iPhone -TIME magazine.
- Impact of the Apple iPhone - the most cogent article yet covering the mobile industry angle, by Rubicon Consulting's Michael Mace.
- iPhone: but what happened to the "will fail" prediction?
- Enter the iPhone: Apple finally releases long-rumoured iPod cameraphone - the Europe angle, wherein the importance of proper texting is explained.
- Finally, the iPhone - Carlo Longino weighs in.
- iPhone and the End of PC Era - Om Malik's opinion.
- Move On, Rumormongers: The iPhone Is Finally Real - Techdirt weighs in, with the first mention of the Newton.
- Some Hands-On Time With the iPhone - David Pogue's impressions.
- Apple iPhone: The Specs & Official Press Release - Notable content tie-ins: both Google and Yahoo search, Yahoo mail, Google maps.
- Stephen Colbert “Flaccid with Rage” over iPhone - via Apple Gazette. If it hits Comedy Central, you know you've got it made.
Previously, in the early years...