During my Milan trip, there were five things that were a great help where it relates to planning the trip and keeping in touch:
- Map24, which despite having one of the most obnoxiously banner-filled sites known to Man, has a tremendously useful Java-based map viewer with street-level search and route planning (and yes, I am aware that Google Maps's datum is woefully inaccurate - even Earth isn't worth a damn for planning European trips...)
- Citrix for corporate access (tremendously useful, and able to automatically reconnect to ongoing sessions when the GPRS link went down)
- Cygwin (for SSH and pretty much everything else)
- autossh, which automatically re-connected all my tunnels, SOCKS proxy, etc.
- And, of course, my Blackberry.