Okay, so I got tricked into installing Adium, and am putting it through a "taofication" process (which consists of removing every single scrap of extraneous and ridiculously non-functional eye-candy). It's crashed twice on me already, so I'll stick to the good points:
- Tabbed interface (preserves screen real estate) but with tearaway tabs (real neat touch).
- Jabber and Rendezvous support (which, together with its Growl support, might just be the thing for my home LAN notifications).
- Several emoticon sets (I like the Yahoo set when talking through Yahoo, and the MSN set when talking through MSN, although Adium sometimes mixes them up).
- Great Address Book integration (the contact grouping and contact photo features alone are enough to warrant my using it after the second crash).
- Individual event handlers for contacts - great for when you're waiting for someone to come back from a meeting.
As to the news... Hmmm. Ah, yes, the news:
- The iBook and G5 product lines were updated - we get a better iBook and an entry-level G5, check the site for details.
- A Traffic Analysis that caught my eye, off the local Mac users mailing-list. Of course it's extremely vendor-biased, but nevertheless interesting.
Nothing more of much interest, really.